Green license plate petition to the Government of British Columbia

: Tesla Owner’s Club of BC Vancouver Chapter Forums GENERAL DISCUSSION Community Participation Green license plate petition to the Government of British Columbia

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      pcarter
      Participant

Would you support a green license plate petition to the Government of British Columbia?

If yes, please comment your thoughts on the following:

(1) A green plate, similar to personalize plates, should be an option for clean vehicles and be the indicator for benefits such as HOV access, etc.

(2) A green plate fee can be higher than a personalize plate to help offset loss of revenue from gas tax to contribute our fair share.

(3) A green plate fee should not cost anything extra as an incentive to go green to meet Clean BC’s emission goals.

(4) A modern plate system should be adopted to either not require a front plate or a sticker version to improve aesthetic and/or aerodynamics.

Please respond by March 31.

pcarter
      Participant

(1) (3) Perhaps as we reach the tipping point of electric vehicles on the road the green plate fee could include a fee to offset the lost gas tax revenue, but during this critical time to promote adoption, this should be waived as part of meeting the Clean BC goals of Reducing Pollution.

R. (Dale) Monrad
      Keymaster

Would you support a green license plate petition to the Government of British Columbia? (YES)
      If yes, please comment your thoughts on the following:

(1) A green plate, similar to personalize plates, should be an option for clean vehicles and be the indicator for benefits such as HOV access, etc.(YES)

(2) A green plate fee can be higher than a personalize plate to help offset loss of revenue from gas tax to contribute our fair share.

(well some of us EV forerunners were denied the EV incentive * as our Tesla vehicles allcost over $77,000 MLP and then they also had the audacity to charge us a LUXURY tax) *( Note: the incentive was manged for the province by the BC New Car Dealers Assoc. – A bit like SNC-Lavalin)

(3) A green plate fee should not cost anything extra as an incentive to go green to meet Clean BC’s emission goals. (Nice idea but that will never fly)

(4) A modern plate system should be adopted to either not require a front plate or a sticker version to improve aesthetic and/or aerodynamics. (Nice idea but that will be a tough sell)

Rene van den Elzen
      Participant

The front plate could easily be a sticker or a decal that looks exactly like the metal version. I actually had one made by photo-copying my metal plate and having it made into a decal for $30. Most people don’t even notice that it is different. The law does not specifically forbid it. The cops probably don’t care.

Jeremey Janzen
      Participant

Re #2, “pay fair share”, I was going to vote for this one but then thought, no, EVs have already been treated unfairly with the “SUV/luxury tax” (remember when it came in it was marketed as an SUV gas-guzzler tax??). So Paul’s comment that once the tipping point is reached, sure, chuck on a road maintenance type fee then, I agree with.

Mark Fromberg
      Participant

I think these “green BC” plates could look the same as the new BC Parks plates, which look pretty “green”:
      https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/license-plates-bc-parks-1.3941983

I am uncertain if the BC government would be willing to give these plates to the owners of no- or low- emissions vehicles, although, if they see this as an incentive to buy a green car as they already do in this province with purchase rebates, maybe they would.
      I like the idea that such a plate would also serve as an indicator for HOV use, since it is stupid to place a sticker like this on your rear windshield or directly on the paint of your car, as they recommend (I put mine on one corner of my license plate, similar to some plates (such as what some truckers used to display) that have several stickers on them.

Darren Schebek
      Participant

I don’t have an issue with paying a higher fee for a green plate as long as the green plate is optional, which I assume it would be.

I’d much, *much* rather eliminate the front plate requirement entirely but failing that, an easily removable sticker that won’t damage paint would be an option.

And definitely integrate the HOV status into that plate. I have Parks Canada plates and I don’t bother with the HOV because the regular license plate and HOV sticker are both hideous-looking.

Roger Monk
      Participant

Hi Paul,

Did you approach the province / ICBC about this potential idea? Curious as to their reaction if any. I have no problem paying an additional fee in a similar way to Parks.

Best reagrds,

Roger

pcarter
      Participant

I’ll followup. Hope we can get it out for signatures next month.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.