Aftermarket Wheels?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Carter
      Keymaster

I’m wanting to pick up some wheels for summer use as I’ve put my winters on the OEM 19’s. The catch seems to be that the good ones are sourced out of the USA and the currency conversion isn’t exactly on my side these days.

I would really like to find something I can see before ordering. I’m thinking that I’ll stick with 19″ size, after reading about the damage the 21’s are getting… and looking at the price of the lower profile 21’s… and their shorter tread life. I’m thinking something darker – graphite or maybe black.

Anyone able to recommend a product?

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

The 19″ T Sportline wheels from Evannex (or T Sportline) look the best and most reasonably priced aftermarket wheels but the exchange rate and shipping are killers. They are USD $1,700 to start compared with just under $1,200 before tax for the 19″ OEM Tesla ones (sans tires and TPMS).

I have 21″ OEM with summer tires but I don’t like the tires or the rims for all the reasons spelled out on the various forums. I recently (2 months ago) ordered four 19″ OEM wheels from the Vancouver TSC plus 2 sets of wheel bands from Evannex. (I already have 4 original TPMS sensors from a guy who had to get new ones when he switched to his P85D). I am still waiting for the 19″ rims from Tesla. Good thing it’s been a mild winter.

I plan to put either winter (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2) or all weather (Nokian WRG3) tires on the 19s, polish the curb rash from the 21s and put tire bands on all 8 wheels. If I go with the WRG3s and they handle well enough, I may use the 19s all year round and sell the cleaned up 21s.

Paul Carter
      Keymaster

Yes, I started my search with T Sportline. I like the turbine look they offer in a 19″. But I don’t like the price or the exchange!

I definitely like the look of 21’s, but they just don’t make sense in my case. Maybe 20’s, but I’m not convinced the improvement justifies the cost. And I’ve got plenty of wear left on my OEM 19″ tires.

I found this site: http://wheelwarehouse.com/pages/iconfigurator which lets you preview their rims on a Tesla of your colour. Too many to narrow down the choice though! And then, to try to find a local supplier…

I’ve been running Nokian Hakka’s for many years and always go back to that model when I need new ones. I suppose it depends on your personal requirements, but I’m not willing to lower the bar on winter performance with the WRG3’s. The R2’s have been great on my Model S!

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

@Brock: I ran WRG2’s on previous 4WD vans year round and loved them. They lasted 60,000+ Km. The replacement WRG3’s don’t fare as well in winter reviews, but I like the thought of not swapping twice a year. Maybe down here in the LM without severe winters and ongoing climate change enhancements, they might be OK. I haven’t found anyone who has tried them on a Tesla though.

Paul Carter
      Keymaster

I’m pretty sure Don up here in Kamloops has those exact tires on his… installed them about a month ago. He may offer some comments on them here when he’s back online (vacationing at the moment).

Stephen Chow
      Participant

Hey Brock, I just put on my Avante Garde 580 wheels I bought from Get Your Wheels off of Jason from TMC. They are 20″ wheels and with many colour options. I got them for $3K USD shipped to Sumas WA for a 3 stage finish, but a stage 1 finish would be $2250 USD that includes TPMS sensors, lugnuts, and tires. I can send you a few pics Brock. I’ve only had them for 3 days on the Model S so I can’t say anything about longterm wear for the Continental DWS tires, although the ride is better than the 21″ Turbines. The ride is about the same as my wife’s Model S with stock 19’s but tores are a little noisier than the WRG3’s and Primacy tires.

Paul Carter
        Keymaster

Stephen! Funny… I’ve been looking at the 580’s quite seriously. I saw the 590’s first, but noticed the 580’s and liked the look of them around the lug nuts a little better. They’re still on my list of potential suspects. When you say ‘3 stage’, does that mean the number of coats of paint? What colour did you get? On which colour car? How did the customs guys treat you with those wheels/tires? Full duty or were they NAFTA exempt?

Ken: I’ve been looking at tirerack.com quite a bit. I’m at a point where the rims are starting to look the same… and when I think I’ve found something I like, I see a look-alike stock wheel on a Chev econobox or similar – that kills the loving feeling for some reason.

I’m actually back looking at T-Sportline again (as Dan mentioned). They now offer a 20″ turbine, just starting to ship apparently. It’s available in the grey and would look much like the factory turbine wheel. The 19″ turbine is still a consideration. I’m on track to clock 40,000 km this first year of ownership, so I need to consider how well the tires/rims will survive potholes and how long the rubber will last. It’s a bit ironic that the more expensive tires last fewer km’s and are more likely to be killed by a pothole!

Dan… Can you confirm the pricing of the stock 19″ wheels? When I called the other day, the girl at the front told me they were $450 a corner, without TPMS. Seems more than you were mentioning above. Or maybe I’m not accounting for the USD properly.

Ken Neave
      Participant

Have you looked at TireRack.com? There are quite a few nice choices under $300USD/wheel there. Apparently the owner of that site is a big Tesla fan.

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

@Brock, I don’t have the exact price with me but they were under CAD $400/corner without TPMs (I already have 4). I seem to recall the quote was about CAD $380+ and I gave them my Visa card so the price wouldn’t increase. I haven’t received them yet though and I ordered from the Vancouver TSC a couple of months ago now. TJ advised they are still waiting for supply with quite a few backorders to fill. I’m in the next batch arriving soon.

Paul Carter
      Keymaster

I suppose given the tailspin in the dollar, $450 is probably not too unrealistic today. I see that the base wheel on the Tesla site is a different look now… more of a turbine. Which I actually like, but would prefer to see it made available in the grey colour too.

The new style doesn’t show as an accessory yet, so if you’re backordered on the original version, I can’t imagine how long it would take for the new ones to appear!

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

I couldn’t find my record of the TSC wheel quote so I called and Kim just sent me one. CAD $350/wheel 19″ standard. That may be the current price as I only left my Visa card info, they haven’t charged me yet.

Stephen Chow
      Participant

Hi Brock,

I ordered the wheel/tire package back in November and I kept them at my friend’s place in Bellingham who brought them up for me as spare tires in his car one at a time. In the past, CBSA charged me GST and PST on wheels and tires. Would have been about $480 in taxes this time.

3-stage is 3 coats of paint. I got the brushed black nickel colour. Nice finish to the wheels and looks nice on the blue. I kept the blue Model S with chrome trim while I had the MC red MS door handles wrapped in carbon fiber.

My wife just didn’t want to have the hassle of worring about cracking 20″ amd 21″ wheels so two stock sets of 19″ wheels are for the red MS. One set with WRG3 for winter and the stock Primacy tires on the other 19″ set of wheels. I drive the blue about 90% of the time now.

If you’re down in the Fraser Valley and want to check out the AG 580’s I’ll be glad to show you Brock.

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

@Stephen, I’m thinking of buying WRG3’s. How are they – snow? ice? rain? noise? dry pavement? performance?
      I would like to use them all year round on my 19″ standard wheels.
      I’ve used WRG2’s on two previous vans year round and loved them. Lasted just over 60,000 Km.
      I’ve heard the WRG3’s might not perform as well in winter as the WRG2’s.
      Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

@Brock, the new Tesla turbine 19’s may be a higher price, perhaps that’s where the $450 came from. I’m not now sure what I’ll actually be getting when they arrive. I would prefer to physically see the new ones before ordering, ie, to see if they might look prone to the same curb rash problems of the 21’s, although not sure if maybe that is caused by a combination of 21″ wheels, soft low profile performance tires (and perhaps driver).

Stephen Chow
      Participant

Hey Dan,

I have my 21″ Turbines on Pirelli Sottozero 3 from Tesla and in comparison to the WRG3 tires, the wet traction on the WRG3 are better. There wasn’t enough snow this year for me to compare the two, but the Pirellis definitely had a little more road noise considering the softer compound. For dry performance, the WRG3 feel similar to the stock Michelin Primacy tires. I don’t feel the traction breaking loose or traction control kick in on dry pavement with launches on the WRG3’s. For the Lower Mainland, the WRG3’s would suffice with dual motors, but if you’re RWD you might be better off with the Hakka R2’s and have 2 sets of tires and wheels.

I wish I could give you a higher mileage review of the tires, but my wife and I only have had our Model S’s for 6 months and 3 months with 13000KM of driving in total.

I have the luxury of taking my Toyota Tundra when there is bad weather like during the windstorm. I gotta swap out the Blizzaks on the truck soon for my All-Terrains as well.

Dan Bowditch
      Participant

@Stephen, thanks for the feedback on the WRG3’s. This jives with posts I’ve read on TMC. I have RWD. I could go with R2’s for winter but I really want to try running a year-round all weather tire, clean up my 21″ wheels and maybe sell them (summer Continental tires are just about done, although surprised they’ve lasted nearly 40,000 Km). I think the 21’s look better but the tire wear, road rash, range impacts and potential pothole damage make the 19’s look more attractive all the time. Maybe the new turbine 19’s from Tesla will look better than the original 19’s.

Paul Carter
      Keymaster

Stephen, thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that in the next few weeks as I’m tentatively scheduling a trip to Seattle in early April… going over the border at Sumas, so you’d be close by.

I went into a tire shop I’ve never been to before, this afternoon, and found out they sell Niche rims. Pricing isn’t too bad at $300-$400 for cast wheels. Niche also makes forged wheels, but put a ‘1’ in front of the previous numbers…

Anyway, turns out one of the local guys with the dark 21 turbines picked up these in ‘Anthracite’ as his winter wheels. The turbines were in the shop getting new rubber so I was able to have a look. I’m surprised at just how flat and grey they really are! The anthracite is also dark, but seems to have more depth. The owner is expected in tomorrow to do the swap, so I may get the chance to see the Niche Misano’s in the flesh.

Dan, I pondered the new stock 19’s, but they’re apparently only available (so far at least) in the bright finish. I want to go dark for my second set, so will likely give them a miss. I’m seriously thinking that 20″ may be the trick for summer treads. I like the look of the 21’s but don’t really need the grief or the price tag. Speaking with the tire story guys, the 20″ tires are a little more expensive than the 19’s, but significantly less than the 21’s. And seem to wear better too. Seems like a decent compromise.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.