From Sun to car

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Hans Peter Hauser
      Participant

In January 2018 our Solar System was switched on for the first time. The system consist of 34 Panels @ 275 Watt and 2 Tesla Powerwll 2 Batteries.

It is a BC Hydro sanctioned Grid Tie System. It includes 2 Hydro Meters (Shop/House) and 3 Level 2 Chargers for 3 BEV’s.

We receive one Hydro Bill per Year (February) and the Solar Energy covers the rest.

4 days after the system was online we had a 34 hour Hydro Outage and the Powerwalls took over. They supplied the energy for all the lights, Microwave Oven, Freezers, Fridge, Well Pumps, Main Gate and Garage Doors (the only House with lights on our Street…).

When the BC Hydro power came back on, the Batteries were at 50% (we did have sunshine on those days).

I feel that this proofs that one does not have to live in California to make a Solar System work.

Hugh-SG
      Participant

I agree with you Hans.  Solar does work in BC and it is Long Term slow pay back but very economical.

My wife and I have had 18 x 325 watt LG panels with an SMA 3.8 kW inverter since March 2018.  Optimizes throttle our panels out put down at max sun to keep total output down to maximum the inverters can handle.

We are also a BC Hydro sanctioned Grid Tie System with Net Metering (grandfathered).  Our BC Hydro bills went from $73 a month (averaged over 12 months, adjusted annually) to $23 a month in the 1st year.

We make most of our Solar Power between mid March and mid September, storing it via Net Metering with Hydro for use in the winter months when the sun angle is very low.

Our single Powerwall-2 back up has saved us many a time from going “dark” when the local grid decides to take a nap.  But we do not miss having to  go around the house resetting all of our clocks when there is a Hydro outage.

Food for  thought, Cheers, Hugh-SG

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.